Covid-19 Update: Now offering virtual estimates, inspections, and presentations
Poor Attic Ventilation Can Cause Problems for Twin Cities Homeowners
If you follow our blog, you may have noticed that recently we’ve had some articles on the importance of attic ventilation. Perhaps you wonder why a roofing contractor would be focusing on that. Well, the main reason is that the health of your roof depends on the air flow in the spaces underneath and around it.
If you’re like most of us, the attic is probably your least favorite place in your home. (Perhaps you’ve seen the recent insurance commercial where a gecko goes up to the attic with a new homeowner… Okay, well, not everybody’s attic is that creepy…) But the attic space in your home DOES need your attention. You don’t have to stay up there, and you don’t even have to do this on your own. You can hire a professional that can go up there and check on things for you.
There are a number of issues that can happen when the attic ventilation is not how it should be. And those issues can result in some problems that may result in costly repairs.
- Mold and mildew which are damaging to your health can be found throughout the entire home, not just in the attic
- Your air conditioning system may go through rough times because it’s working harder than it needs to
- Your roof is going to have a shorter life because of the poor ventilation
- Rust can develop on any metal like screws, nails and brackets) that are part of the roof or other structural elements
- The wood decking of the roof can get spongy and even rot due to excessive moisture
- Insufficient ventilation can lead to development of ice dams
Extend the Life of Your Roof with Good Air Flow Underneath It
Having a roof replaced is a major expense, so it is important that you extend the life of your roof as much as possible. Having adequate attic ventilation is an important way to do that. And it will help with utility bills as well. Airflow through the attic space draws both heat and moisture out, making it easier for everyone living inside the home to be comfortable and to reduce the chances of having any of the issues above.
We can’t stress it enouhg: Always have the proper maintenance done before any issues arise from having poor attic ventilation.
If you have any concerns about your roof or ventilation in your attic space, call us today and we can come out and take a look. Our consultations are free, and we can make recommendations to improve the ventilation in your attic.
Quarve Contracting, Inc. is a licensed Minnesota roofing company serving the Twin Cities area, and improving attic ventilation is often part of the job when we install a new roof or repair an existing one.