Does your home get beautiful icicles decorating the roof edge in the winter? It may look like a calendar picture but it's actually a sign of trouble. When your gutters are blocked with debris and the cold snow and rain come falling, then this can cause ice to build up in them. This ice can then back up into the shingles on your roof as well as weigh down the gutters, causing them to break and water to leak where it is not supposed to go. If you’re not taking care of the gutters throughout the year, then you may find that this is something that happens every winter. What Can Happen with Frozen Ice Dams Frozen ice dams can become a serious problem with homes, and there are many consequences that you should be aware of.
- Strain on your roof causing it to buckle, and meaning you will have to replace the entire roof shortly
- Leaking can happen in the roof, causing the attic and home to have stains in the walls and ceiling, and also causing structural problems
- Moisture throughout the ceilings and walls of the home can cause insects to come and burrow in
- Toxic mold can build up throughout the home, causing you and your family to become sick
- Cracked drywall and plaster can cause the home to lose structural integrity
- Damage to the insulation can occur because of water and moisture in the walls