Fall is coming closer, that means being able to get your home ready for another Minnesota winter. It doesn't have to take a lot of time to accomplish this either – using these tips, you can get these important seasonal preparation tasks done in an hour or less.
- Maintain the locks – This can prevent rust or other damage from happening not only to the locks but to the jambs as well. Lubricate a cloth and polish each small crack.
- Gutters are important to maintain since they can accumulate ice – Clean out the downspouts on the gutters and anything that might have piled up there over the year.
- Test every single smoke detector in the home – Just press the test button on each of them and if it makes a sound, you're good to go.
- Check and clean mold in the home – Mold can be a nasty thing that spreads, so take care of it when you find it. You can use a mold-killing spray or bleach to get rid of it.
- Unclog any and all of the drains throughout the home – Boil water and pour it down the drain to clean it out. Clogged drains can be a breeding ground for many germs and could start smelling funny after a while.
- Change the filter in your furnace – Replacing the filter costs much less than replacing the whole furnace. If the filter is not white, you need to change it. This build up can cause the furnace to malfunction. Just pull out the old and put in the new.