It's not unusual to find when we're meeting with prospective customers here in the Twin Cities area to give them on a quote on an exterior remodeling project that they have a number of things on their to-do list. Often we find when we're talking about a roof replacement, they would also like to have new gutters installed and perhaps siding as well. Oh, and while we're doing all that, maybe new energy-efficient windows and doors as well. We love a list like that, because we are definitely in favor of creating a protective envelope around the entire exterior of a home, and installing complementary components can make a big difference. There are a lot of good reasons for tackling multiple types of exterior remodeling at the same time:
- Your contractor can pull one permit that would handle everything, rather than multiple permits
- Disruption in your yard, home, and your lifestyle will happen in one event, not several times
- It's more cost effective for the contractor, and it definitely will save you money. There are fixed costs for any job, regardless of how much work is done.
- Your contractor can recommend materials that work well together.
- Planned installation can be done in stages so that the next type of work won't damage what has already been done. (We've found this works particularly well with rooftop solar panel installation; we work in conjunction with the solar installers so that neither of us messes up the other's work and we're not having to double up on efforts.)