Maintenance Tips to Use for Your Minneapolis Windows and Exterior Doors
After a fairly cold spell, it has warmed up here in the Twin Cities, but you know that winter is just beginning. And for many homes, that means things are a little uncomfortable as the temperatures drop. Drafts are something you do not want to have to deal with all winter. Aside from replacing old windows and doors that don’t fit or work as well as they once did is one way to deal with the problem, but there are other less extensive things you can do yourself. As a window and exterior door installation company, we know that sometimes it is hard to consider replacing the windows and doors in your home at this time of year, but when they are causing you to spend more money every month and still remain uncomfortable in the home, then it might be time to switch them out.
Here are some ways to maintain the windows and doors in your home so you can keep the inside of the house as comfortable as can be.
- Make sure to check the windows for leaks, especially on a cold day. Put your hand up close to the frame. If you can feel the cold air, you have leaks.
- Check the locks on both windows and doors to make sure they seal things tightly. Closing windows isn’t enough; the locking mechanisms are important to creating a tight seal between the window sections.
- Install weather stripping.
- Clean the window glass when the temperatures get colder to help bring in natural sunlight. That can warm things up inside. If they are not able to do this, then you might need new glass.
- If the windows or doors are not able to be opened, are difficult to use, or don’t shut securely, it is probably time to get new ones installed.
- Add storm doors to create an additional layer of insulation on your entry doors.
Winter can be hard enough outdoors without it being chilly inside your home. Drafts don’t only make your home uncomfortable, but they are an indication that you’re wasting energy. Contact us today if you want to find out more information about the replacement windows and exterior doors you can have put in your home. Once you learn more, you can then take the next step towards building a better, more comfortable house.