Choosing which siding to cover your home's exterior is an important decision.
There are so many options available, and all have their pros and cons. What you choose will depend on your lifestyle, your budget, and your personal style and tastes. There are synthetic options such as vinyl, natural low-maintenance fiberglass, durable steel or other metal as well as cement board. But if you're looking for a traditional timeless appeal of natural wood, nothing beats cedar siding, also known as shake.
As a building material, cedar has many qualities which make it an excellent choice for siding:
- It is durable and resists mold, rot, and mildew
- Its natural oils make it resistant to insect damage
- It requires less maintenance than other wood products - cleaning twice a year is usually sufficient
- Provides increased value to your home
- Long-lasting - with proper care it should last for decades
- Will handle a variety of finishes, or will weather if you prefer to leave it unfinished for a natural look
- Produced from renewable resources, it is a great way to improve the "green" state of your home and reduce impact on the environment
also come prefinished, or can be painted or stained in natural wood tones or semi-transparent colored stains. This versatility in finishing makes it an added plus. If your tastes change, you have the option of changing your home's exterior finish colors which preserving the appeal of the natural wood look. And in addition to shakes, cedar siding is also available in a variety of other styles, including board and batten, tongue and groove, and rough cut. Natural cedar comes in either wide or red.
If you're considering the traditional appeal of wood siding, let the home improvement professionals at Quarve Contracting, one of the St. Paul/Minneapolis area's leading siding contractors for over 27 years, show you the natural beauty of cedar siding. Contact us for a free estimate today.
Subscribe to Quarve Contracting's Blog