Even though metal roofing is becoming more popular among Minneapolis area homeowners, asphalt shingles still seem to be the most popular. If you've got asphalt and you're not ready to replace your roof, you have to consider how you can get more life out of the shingles on your home. By doing some quick maintenance throughout the year, you’re able to get more out of your roof and make the shingles last for a longer time than what you would normally expect from a shingle roof.Asphalt Roof Maintenance to Prolong Shingle Life
Here are five different maintenance tasks you can do to keep up on the longevity of your shingled roof:
- Replace any worn, curling, or damaged shingles on your roof right away. You want to keep the integrity of your home and the roof intact. By replacing any shingles on the roof that are not fully connected, you’re not only protecting your home but those that live inside it. It's a simple fix, but if it's not done right away it can lead to more extensive damage.
- Stay on top of cleaning your gutters. Remove any and all debris from it as soon as you notice any. You want to make sure they are not too heavy and that the downspouts are placed to move water away from the home and not into the foundation. Debris build-up in the gutters can lead to water backing up under the roof edge, damaging the soffit and fascia boards as well as the roof. This can also lead to ice dam formation in the winter. At the minimum, gutters should be cleaned out after the snow is gone, and then again in the fall once the leaves are off the trees.
- Apply a polymer coating. This is a liquid that glides onto the top of roof to protect the shingles from the moisture and outside elements that it comes into contact with each and every day. It can also keep your shingles looking newer for a longer period of time.
- Make sure to make inspections on your own, and through a contractor regularly so that you can extend the life of your roof. When something needs to be repaired, be diligent about it and have it done. Check the warranty for your shingles - some manufacturers require periodic inspections for the warranty to remain in force. Most reputable professional roofing contractors will do an inspection free of charge.
- Cut any overhanging branches above the home whenever you notice them. Large branches hanging above the roof can cause damage if they fall on the house. By cutting them off and removing them from the equation, you’re able to enjoy the comforts of knowing nothing is going to fall on the roof in a wind or snow storm.
Subscribe to Quarve Contracting's Blog